Aims and Objectives
The aims of the scheme are as follows:
- To improve the area surrounding the pond for odonates and all wildlife by increasing the range of habitats around it.
- To conserve these habitats through ongoing management
- To create an area for recreation, relaxation and education for the local community
- To plant a community orchard
Implementation of the scheme will achieve the following objectives:
- Help conserve traditional and local fruit varieties
- Produce a harvest of fruit that can be shared
- Improve the feeding areas for odonates in proximity to the pond by encouraging plants that attract insects
- Increase the native tree cover within the village area
- Restore and improve the hedges around the pond area
The pond has been cleared of invasive reed mace and planted with a variety of native species.
The new hedge and a Jubilee Oak were planted in November 2012 and the orchard was planted in two stages - March 2014 and with the children from the school during National Tree Week in December 2014.
More information from Dave Robinson
17 Leacroft Road